JANUARY 2011

Please note: Ranch Hag Hens is no longer operating in Petaluma, CA.

For natural, organic, non-toxic, humane and eco-friendly supplies and treats for your backyard chickens please visit Treats for Chickens. Sign up for their newsletter and read the blog to receive great promotions, coupons and ..well, ...treats for your chickens.

Sonoma County and Surrounding Area:
Please contact Jane at Split Rail Family Farms in Penngrove for your backyard chickens.



Eggs for Sale

A limited number of fresh chicken eggs available.
Located in Weed, CA.

Assorted browns, green, blue, beige - some tinted pink. Free ranged, organic fed happy ladies.

12-pak/$6.00

info@treatsforchickens.com

Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Newest Chicken Addiction: Mottled Bantam Cochins


I swore off Bantams a bit ago...No more minis.
The little buggers are darn difficult to accurately sex as fuzzy little hatchlings... and their eggs - well, it take two of them (eggs) to equal the size of a standard breed. They just didn't seem feasible for what's on our mind (which, is a whole 'nother bag of craziness)....until just the other day or so. It came to me in quite a clear momment and - and now, I'm going for it.

Yep, I decided that I am going to share my absolute addiction of mottled bantam cochins with all of you ....to bad you've got to wait till the Spring though, eh? Ah, the agony? The best things are worth the wait, right? It does no good to stick your finger in the middle of the apple pie while it's still in the oven, right? Right, right, right?

For those of you who have been out and seen the playful little buggers skampering about the patio, dashing inbetween dalias and tomotoes and zipping here and there catching flys......they are just too precious...and if you've seen them .....you know what I'm talking about.
If you haven't had the chance to gander at the everso curious little feather footed babes - here's a photo (okay, two) for you- with one eyed Sally in the background. She's such a trooper: damn chicken hawks!

As always, I want to send out a genuine 'thank you' to all that support Ranch Hag Hens. It's an addiction and I love it.

PS: are you using Diatomaceous Earth in your gals nesting boxes, dust baths and in your yard? Please don't use harsh chemicals - go o'natural.
We have 1lb bags that are suitable for urban backyard flocks.

1 comment:

  1. Super cute babies! I don't want any...I don't...I really, really don't!

    ReplyDelete